Tuesday, November 26, 2013

7 Minute Workout Challenge

So! I have NOT worked out in about 2-3 months. I have a membership but my daughter is no longer in daycare.  That should in no way be an excuse but dammit that's my story and I'm sticking to it! However, my body really missed the gym!

I came home last Tuesday and will be here for a while.  I know that when I come home my mother and I will go to Zumba classes.  I ABSOLUTELY ADORE ZUMBA! Buuuuuuut because of the Thanksgiving holiday there will be no Zumba classes until next week.  I cannot wait that long! So, I got to work on finding ways I can workout at home and I stumbled upon the 7 Minute Workout!

Now, this workout is also referred to as The Scientific Workout.  The New York Times did an article on the workout.  I have provided a link to the article so that you can read up on it.  Specifically, the workout is broken up into 12 exercises to be done for 30 seconds each.  This is especially great for single mothers like myself.  I can do it in my home and not worry about finding a babysitter or hauling the baby out in the cold so that I can go to the gym.  Needless to say I was impressed and downloaded the app for my Galaxy (team DROID whoop whoop! lol). 

The Challenge:

Now! On to the fun stuff, yaaaaaaaaaay! I will be completing this workout 2-3 times a day for 4 weeks especially now during the holiday season.  I say 2-3 times a day because I personally don't feel once a day is enough for me.  I REPEAT for ME! However, I may not always make it to 3 BUT it will be done at least twice a day with the exception of Thanksgiving.  Thanksgiving morning I will do it but I'm going to be HONEST and say that I probably will not do it again that day lol.  For anyone who wishes to participate with me I encourage that you do it at least once a day and document how you feel, changes (MINOR or MAJOR) you see/feel, and how you feel about the workout overall. Take lots of pictures and keep them or post!

The App:

The app is simple! Its easy to maneuver and does not have any complicating terms, logs, or any of that other annoying stuff.  While you are doing each workout there is a stop clock and it ticks.  I find the clock and loud ticking motivating and reassuring.  However, if you do not you can always silence it.  Also, you can choose how long of a break you want between exercises BUT you cannot exceed a 15 second break.  If there is more than a 15 second break then the workout is pointless.  Please refer to the link I provided for a better understanding as to why that is. I provided a little screenshot of what the app looks like.  There is more than one app for this workout but below is the one I downloaded. Choose the one that works for you!


 
Tips:
  • Pay attention to your body! Push yourself beyond your comfort zone but do not hurt yourself.  Your body knows when to stop!  I did this workout this morning and though it is 7 minutes it is somewhat intense!
  • Set goals!  For instance, my behind cannot hold a plank for 30 seconds! Lord knows that exercise is NO JOKE! However, I wanted to at least be able to hold it for 10 seconds (small but dammit at least I did it! lol) and I did.
  • Find an accountability partner! If you can. That added support goes a long way.
  •  As I say all the time, do your OWN research and consult with your physician.  This is not only to keep you from hurting yourself physically but also to help you find what works for you! Everything does not work for everybody.  My words (blog) is for encouragement and motivation NOT to shove what works for me down your throat.  Your transition will not work unless it works for YOU!
 
HAPPY FUN CHALLENGE!!!! 
     


No comments:

Post a Comment