Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Fast Food #1

Alright! Eating fast food or eating on the go is an area in which we all struggle especially when we're adopting a healthier lifestyle.  I am no different. I try my best to plan ahead and pack my meals for when I'm on the go.  HOWEVER, I ain't do all that this time! I had a green smoothie for breakfast and rushed out the door for an interview. I was so worried about getting there on time because DC traffic is HORRIBLE and I still had to drop the baby off. I say all of that to say, I HAD NO LUNCH!!! 

After my interview a sistah was starving! So, I decided to go to Trader Joe's.  Yes, that is my "go to" store! They have great options for healthy, on the go meals. BUT there is still a struggle. Yes! A struggle! While I am watching how many calories I consume, I also don't want unnecessary sugars or an insane amount of sodium.

I know,  I know!  The BEST way to make sure all my needs are met is to make my own damn food BUT as I mentioned before, I ain't have that option! Instead,  I studied the labels carefully and chose as wisely as I could on an empty stomach! After much debate I settled on a turkey pita sandwhich thing-a-majig (I have provided pictures below). While it had more sodium than I would have liked, I chose this option because:

  - I did not have to worry about serving size and guestimating how much a serving size would be. That is not what I was tryna' do while I was hungry. All this means is the whole sandwich was under 500 calories. Also, this helps keep you from being tempted to eat more than the recommended serving size. So, if possible opt for items such as this to avoid consuming more than intended.

   - It was TURKEY! I was recently home and consumed more red meat than I cared to consume. YES, I slipped BIG TIME (details coming). Anyway! I wanted something filling but not heavy so I skipped the roast beef sandwiches all together. 

   - It had veggies! Spinach and tomatoes!  

   - FINALLY with the amount of calories in the sandwich I had a little wiggle room ;-) ! I was able to feed my crunch and salt craving with pretzels!  Oh damn, I should have provided the nutritional facts for those as well. Oh well, maybe next time. I ate a serving size of pretzels with my sandwich and was satisfied! My lunch held me until dinner!

Tips:
1. Always, always, ALWAYS read labels!
2. If sodium is an issue then finding low sodium options is YOUR focus. This applies for sugar, calorie, carbs, etc. KNOW what you need, what you don't, and govern your food choice accordingly!
3. Make sure whatever options you choose has substance and is not empty. Less calories does not necessarily mean that it is the BEST nutritional option.  Take into account the amount of protein, viber, and YOUR level of activity.  What you eat CANNOT leave you feeling empty.  You will be prone to snacking and/or over eating. 



1 comment:

  1. Love Trader Joes, gave up fast food about a year ago and feel good. Love this post

    ReplyDelete